&item_name=LipidemiaSurgery&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHost

Friday, April 20, 2007

I Challenge You...

Governor Ted Kulongoski

I'm going to join the Governor and his wife Monday in following the Food Stamp Challenge 2007 starting Monday, April 23rd. I challenge you to do the same.
I already know I'll fail. But it will be interesting to discover when, how and where I do. I have friends who think Food Stamps provide those suffering from food insecurity (using the word 'hunger' embarrasses the Federal Government these days) with everything they could possibly need, plus extras. Actually, as you will learn from the Food Stamp Challenge, Food Stamps provide about three dollars a person per day. Can you eat on $3 a day?
I've got a couple of advantages, maybe. First of all, I became a vegetarian a few years back. That means I don't have to buy meat. I actually like vegetables! Basic vegetables are fairly inexpensive. Fruit isn't. Soy products have come into their own in the last five years. That will help me, as well.
I have another advantage over many suffering food insecurity, -- transportation. I don't have to shop at Roth's or Safeway. I can drive across town to Winco, or FoodforLess. A dollar goes quite a bit farther at Winco.
I also like to cook.
But $3 a day isn't very much. So I figure I won't make it. But it is going to be instructive to try.
And I challenge you try along with me and the Governor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in. It should be interesting.