&item_name=LipidemiaSurgery&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHost

Monday, April 23, 2007

Challenge Day One Down by $1.23

A suggested we start the Food Stamp Challenge 2007 a day early since we eat out with my brother every other Sunday and we would be finishing up the week with an eat out day.

Eating out did me in yesterday anyway. Breakfast was ok. Oatmeal, .11, Soy milk .16, Splenda .10, coffee .10. For lunch, however, I had left over pizza from the night before. We calculate that to be $2.20. For supper, I made my own spaghetti. Tomato sauce .20, Crumbles .36, Parmesan cheese .10, olives .20 Spaghetti .40 and an apple .36. Later I had some popcorn for about .10.

We knew this already, of course, but our experience proved that people on food stamps can't eat out, ever, and stay within budget. Even an old guy like me would miss never eating out. Families on food stamps have children who are subjected to hundreds of advertising messages a day and plenty of peer pressure.

Someone on food stamps also has to be a math whiz. That's also probably a big problem for many.

Are you giving the challenge a try? Give us your thoughts in the comments section.

No comments: