&item_name=LipidemiaSurgery&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHost

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bail Outs that Work

A while back, son N gave me a $50 gift certificate to KIVA. This got me interested in the world of microfinance. I placed two loans at the time. Today I placed my ninth loan. I was able to do this because some of the first recipients have paid back part of what they have borrowed. You can check on my Kiva account by clicking the entry under "Consider Reading" in the right hand column.
I sincerely hope President Obama's bailout plans work. Maybe our government can learn something from the world of microfinance. Accountability would be one thing. In the meantime, it is satisfying that I am having a hand in helping people help themselves. It's a good feeling. Try it.


No comments: